FIRE CIDER is a traditional remedy with deep roots in folk medicine. the tasty combination of vinegar infused with powerful anti-microbial, decongestant, & spicy circulatory movers help boost natural immune system processes, stimulate digestion, & get you nice & toasty in the winter time. it can be taken straight by the spoonful, splashed in fried rice, or drizzled on a salad with good olive oil. you can also save the marc (aka the chopped up herbs & spices after it's been infused in the vinegar) & mix it with shredded veggies like carrots, cabbage, broccoli, & fresh herbs to make delicious stir-fries, spring rolls, or soup stock! i like to take 1 tbsp each morning to fire up the immune system during cold // flu season, or a shot of it when i feel a tickle in my throat.
+ 1/2 cup fresh grated organic ginger root
+ 1/2 cup fresh grated organic horseradish root
+ 1 medium organic onion, chopped
+ 10 cloves of organic garlic, crushed or chopped
+ 2 organic jalapeno peppers, chopped
+ zest & juice from 1 organic lemon
+ several sprigs of fresh organic rosemary or 2 tbsp of dried rosemary
+ 1 tbsp organic turmeric powder
+ 1/4 tsp organic cayenne powder
+ organic apple cider vinegar
+ raw local honey to taste
+ star anise
+ schisandra berries
+ beet root powder
+ habanero powder
+ whole chili peppers
+ orange, grapefruit, lime juice & peels
+ anything aromatic or spicy that you have growing nearby!
HOW TO MAKE THIS FIERY BREW:
- mince // grate herbs
- throw herbs in a quart sized jar
- cover top with piece of natural parchment paper under the lid to keep the vinegar from touching any metal, or a plastic lid if you have one
- shake it up!
- store in a dark, cool place for one lunar cycle or bury in the earth to ‘ground’ your medicine*
- after digging it up (or taking out of the pantry), use cheesecloth to strain out the pulp, pouring the vinegar into a clean jar. be sure to squeeze as much of the liquid goodness as you can from the pulp while straining.
- next comes the honey! add 1/4 cup of honey & stir until incorporated. add more to taste if you like that sweet stuff ;)
*BONUS: as you bury the fiery brew into the earth, feel free to bury whatever experiences, thoughts, or patterns you wish to fall away from you..allowing the earth to transmute that into a quality you wish to ignite within yourself for the new season :) do this with words spoken out loud or write it down & bury it in the earth with your FIRE CIDER